Monday 16 March 2015

Institutions




These are my final products pictured next to each other. I have laid it out like this so it is easier to see how they all link together, and to show that they belong to the same artist and are part of the same product. When looking my final products, I have been thinking about which Institutions may publish or host the video, digipak and poster. As seen in the ancillary products, I would want them to be produced by the same institutions as Imagine Dragons. This is because I was following the conventions by using a production company who produced music within my genre.

The music video is more simple, as I have used YouTube as a platform to upload it. As YouTube is free and easy to access, it is a well-used option for many musicians and artists to share their work to a mass or niche audience. Furthermore, TV channels such as MTV often have music channels, in which the audience can watch popular music videos on their TV. With different genres, it means that channels like MTV can have a number of different sub-channels, in which they can show specific music videos for different genres. An example of this is MTV Rocks. 



For my ancillary tasks, I would probably approach retailers such as HMV to sell the digipak, as the genre I have chosen is becoming increasingly popular, and HMV sells a variety of different genres in both its stores and online. From my research in the AS course into the music magazine industry, I would go to places such as HMV, to sell the magazine to music lovers, but I would also go to Supermarkets, including Sainsbury's, as I know they sell magazines of all types. This would be a good way for my artist to get recognition, because it means that a variety of different people would be able to have access to the magazine with my poster in it. 

In terms of a magazine who would publish my poster, and advertise the digipak, I would approach those in the rock genre, including Kerrang!, Mojo, or Q Magazine. Out of the three, I think my poster would suit the style of Kerrang! and Mojo the most, so I think these would be the two magazines at the top of my list. Mojo is for a variety of genres, as many of the front covers range from artists such as David Bowie, to the Arctic Monkeys, whereas Kerrang! is mainly just for the rock genre. However, Kerrang! is "the world's biggest weekly selling rock magazine", so it seems to make sense to sell it to them, as it would therefore mean advertising the poster and digipak to a bigger audience.

Overall, I am really pleased with the outcome of all three of my products, and looking back through my posts, I can see how much progress I have made. Even comparing my preliminary task to my final product shows how my editing skills have developed in this time, and I can now call myself a media consumer, and a media producer. 


-Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment